Zikalala concerned about high number of violent incidents in KZN

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala says he is concerned about the high number of violent incidents that the province has been experiencing since the July civil unrest.

About 350 people were killed during the unrest that engulfed the province and Gauteng.

This past weekend alone, at least nine people died in two separate incidents. One of them is suspected to be linked to political tensions ahead of the local government elections.

Zikalala led a 2KM Peace Walk in Phoenix, north of Durban on Tuesday.

He says government will continue to fight for peace and stability in the province.

“It is important that we continue to mobilise and encourage communities to live together in harmony, but also its important that we strive to build a non-violence society given the violent incidents we continue to see day by day, week by week. We must deal with all of those things and build peace and harmony amongst the people.”

Monument for Phoenix killings

A monument for the victims of the Phoenix killings during the July unrest will be built by the end of the year.

A peace garden representing all the affected communities, will also be laid out.

This announcement was made by Zikalala.

A total of 36 people died in the Phoenix area during the unrest and alleged racial attacks.

He has called people from various communities to join in efforts to bridge economic and racial divides.

“Tougher legislation and sentences alone will not get rid of deep-seated roots of violence. We need to return to the source and begin to promote sanity for human lives in our families, in our communities. The foundation is the family, and we must build from our families.”

In August, the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) said social cohesion initiatives have so far yielded positive results at Phoenix, Bambayi and surrounding areas in the north of Durban.

Activists call for a Commission of Inquiry into killings in Phoenix:

Loading...